Do you like pretzels? Yes?
And have you tried sweet ones? Whatever your answer, you should definitely try my vanilla custard pretzels!!
Let’s see the recipe, Chef!
Vanilla Custard Pretzels
- 6 g instant yeast or 10 g fresh one (for the pretzels)
- 4 tbsp lukewarm milk (for the pretzels)
- 70 g all purpose flour (for the pretzels)
- 250 g all purpose flour (for the pretzels)
- 3 eggs (for the pretzels)
- 80 g sugar (for the pretzels)
- 1 tsp salt (for the pretzels)
- 115 g butter at room temperature (for the pretzels)
- 1 tbsp orange blosson extract (optional, for the pretzels)
- 1 egg (for the pretzels)
- 1 pinch of salt (for the pretzels)
- 250 g milk (for the vanilla custard)
- 250 g cream 30% fat (for the vanilla custard)
- 4 egg yolks (for the vanilla custard)
- 60 g sugar (for the vanilla custard)
- 45 g flour (for the vanilla custard)
- 1 vanilla pod (for the vanilla custard)
Prepare the pretzel dough.
Warm up the milk and mix it with the yeast in your food processor bowl. Add 70 g flour, mix to make a soft and non sticky dough.
Pour the 250 g flour on top without kneading. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
Then add the eggs, sugar and salt.
Start your food processor at low speed ( 2 on a scale from 1 to 6) for 7 minutes then 3 minutes at speed 3-4.
Add the butter cut in pieces and flower blossom extract.
Keep kneading until smooth.
Place a cling film on your dough and leave to rest in your fridge for 3 hours.
After that time, work your dough gently in order to make 10 doughs.
Shape them in strings and then make the pretzels.
Place on two baking trays with baking paper.
Leave to rest for 40 minutes at room temperature.
Make the vanilla custard.
Pour the milk and cream in a saucepan with the vanilla pod cut in half.
Boil and remove immediatly from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
During that time, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until white.
Then add the flour and whisk again.
Remove the vanilla pod. Pour half of the liquid on your batter and mix. Pour the other half, mix again.
Pour the whole mixture in your saucepan and cook at medium heat while whisking until it thickens.
When the cream has the right constistency, pour it in a bowl and cover with a clingfilm.
When your pretzels have risen, preheat your oven at 180 C / 360 F degrees.
Brush the pretzels with the beaten egg and pinch of salt.
Pipe the vanilla custard.
Bake your pretzels for 20-25 minutes.
Let cool down on a grid.