January means King’s cake. And even if I already shared a few recipes on the blog, I had to add another one.
Let’s make a pistachio King’s cake with a delicious buttery and crunchy puff pastry !
The recipe, Chef !
Pistachio King's Cake
- 500 g puff pastry
- 125 g milk (for the vanilla curd)
- 1 egg yolk (for the vanilla curd)
- 10 g sugar (for the vanilla curd)
- 12 g flour (for the vanilla curd)
- 1 pinch vanilla seeds (for the vanilla curd)
- 1 large egg (for the pistachio cream)
- 80 g butter at room temperature (for the pistachio cream)
- 80 g ground pistachios (for the pistachio cream)
- 80 g iced sugar (for the pistachio cream)
- 1 tablespoon rhum (for the pistachio cream)
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of milk
Make the vanilla custard
Pour the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla seeds.
Boil and remove immediatly from the heat.
Whisk the egg yolk with the sugar until it gets white.
Then add the flour and whisk again.
Pour half of the milk on your mixture and mix. Pour the other half, mix again.
Pour the whole mixture in your saucepan and heat for 2 minutes while whisking with energy. (I do that at medium heat)
When the cream has the right constistency, cover with a clingfilm to avoid having a thick crust. Set aside in your fridge.
When the vanilla custard is cold, mix the butter, ground pistachios and iced sugar with a spatula.
When you get an homogeneous mixture, add the egg.
Add the vanilla custard and whisk.
Add the rhum, whisk and set aside in your fridge for 15-20 minutes.
Spread the puff pastry and make 2 discs.
Mound the frangipane cream in the center, do not get closer than 2 cm form the border.
Brush a bit of water on the boarder.
Place the second pastry on the first one.
Make sure not to leave air bubbles between the cream and pastry. Press gently the edges together.
Make 5 cuts to help the steam get out of your galette during baking.
Beat the egg yolk and milk and brush the pastry.
Set aside in your fridge for 45 minutes.
After 35 minutes, preheat your oven at 175 C / 350 F degrees.
Brush again with the egg yolk and milk mixture.
Decorate the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Let cool down on a grid.